
I raised my right hand before the chancellor and swore to tell the truth. Then Ann asked a series of questions and before I knew it, we were done! The chancellor then signed the FINAL DECREE OF READOPTION and...

So what does re-adoption accomplish? Anna is now a United States citizen instead of a permanent resident. Her name is now legally changed and we will soon receive a Tennessee birth certificate. Then we can get a social security number. We've almost made it though all the adoption hoops! Unbelievable!!


On a more serious note....one of the questions I was asked was whether this adoption was in the 'best interest of the child'. Of course I answered 'Yes'- she was an orphan. But I caught myself thinking about Anna's birth mother and how the very best thing would have been for them to get to stay together. Although I am beyond thrilled to be Anna's mom, I'm still sad that adoption- for many reasons that aren't any one's fault- was the best option for her and her birth mom. I think of Anna's Enat (Ethiopian name for mom) every day and am so thankful for the decision she made and yet recognize that her days are likely tinted with grief and worry for her daughter. Maybe one day I'll have the time (and physical and emotional energy) to post about the day I met Anna's amazing Enat- maybe one day, Anna and I will get to meet her again.








Congrats on the re-adoption...love the pics! And wow, heavy stuff thinking of adoption and the birth families. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteOh, she is so sweet! Look at her chubbiness! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteI can't get enough of her cuteness! My goodness....she is adorable! Congrats on the re-adoptions! Love the pictures!
ReplyDeleteI meant re-adoption....singular. :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Julie ! I am a little jealous that you are already "official" with Anna. We have had Maliha home almost 6 months and are not able to finalize our adoption until she has been here for 6 months. We are working on it with Ann right now. It is almost time ! I can't wait until the day that we make her "officially" our daughter "on paper" and she becomes a US Citizen and gets her official new name. But seriously, congratulations, I really am very happy for you !!! What an amazing 6 months you have had !!! Hope to see you and Anna soon. Anna is just the cutest baby ever . Keep the pictures coming.
ReplyDeleteI had chills the WHOLE time I was reading this. Anna's birth mother is fortunate to have you loving, caring for, and raising sweet Anna. Hopefully in her spirit she knows her sweet little girl is loved by so many.
ReplyDeleteDarla
Oh what a CUTIE!! Congratulations on the re-adoption!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! Anna is a precious baby! Laura sent your blog address to me after I saw Anna's homecoming on FB.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear about meeting Anna's Birth Enat.