How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God!
1 John 3:1

A Father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing.
Psalm 68:5-6




Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Unrelated Trauma

I wouldn't normally post about such things, but I need to 'dump' it somewhere. I have two very sweet and very gentle greyhounds- sweet May can pick up a grape without breaking the skin. Both were once racers and when they are outside, they will chase anything that moves...it's just how they were raised. So tonight when I let them out for the last time, Boo came back in in a reasonable amount of time; May seemed to linger as she sometimes does. I went out to hurry her along and she comes running up to me with something in her mouth...not a ball or a chew toy or a stick, something with fur. My first reaction- a mouse. Very gross, thank you May for your service to this house! Once she dropped it, very proudly, near my feet, I realized it was not a mouse, but a very tiny baby bunny. He had perfectly shaped little ears and legs and nose with brown fur. I sat and watched him take his last few breaths. Poor baby bunny. I felt so very sad for him. I gently picked him up (in a gloved hand), put him in a small box, and wrapped him a paper towel. Now, I'm very sad. I apologized to May for being upset with her; she was only doing what she was trained to do- she caught the rabbit. Still I feel bad. Now, what does one do with a deceased baby rabbit in a card board box? I think tomorrow I will put the baby bunny to rest in the woods behind my house. Rest well baby bunny. Sigh.

(Not our baby bunny...but, he looked just like this one.)
**PSA: If you find an injured baby bunny, you can take it to UT vet school. There will be no charge.

1 comment:

  1. Those kinds of things make for a bad day. No-ones fault, just mother nature working and her animal kingdom doing what their instincts tell them. Still sad though. I would bury the bunny in the yard if I were you and then make sure that no rabbits nests are in the yard where the doggies play. I hope to see you next Thursday!

    ReplyDelete