Happy 4th of July! (yes, I'm a day late...if you know me, it's no big suprise!) On this day that we celebrate the Independence of our country, I am thankful for the freedoms that I enjoy every day. Prior to beginning this adoption process, I often took those opportunities for granted. As I recently waited to have my gall bladder taken out, I became very thankful that my child will grow up in a country where he or she will have access to quality health care. My baby won't die of a communicable disease or some illness that we get a cheap antibiotic for. My child will not die from a mosquito bite. My child, whether a boy or a girl, will receive a good education all the way through college. My child will never have to wonder if they will ever have a pair of shoes or question if the water they drink will make them sick. They will always have a bed to sleep on, plenty of food to eat, and clothes that fit. My child will be able to vote or pray or go to church without fear. My child can grow up to be the President of the United States, if he or she wants to! For children growing up in Africa, none of these things: medicine, doctors, school, shoes, clean water...are certain. Many people have asked me, "Why Africa?" This is part of the answer. Praise God for the freedom we enjoy; for the opportunities we have.
I've also been thinking about how much courage it takes to fully take hold of the freedoms and opportunities placed before us. It's easy to stay where we are. It's easy to stick to our routines. It's easy to hang out with folks who talk and eat and look like us. It's easy to turn our head to the injustices around us. It takes courage to step out of our 'box'. It takes courage to share what we enjoy with those who don't know such things exist. It takes courage to look across the street, or across town, or across the world to see what someone else's life is like. It takes courage to try to make a difference. It takes courage to be the home of the brave. "I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel
So, on this July 4th, I'm am so excited for the day I'll bring my child home to America. I'm excited for him or her to catch the vision of free America and then be brave enough to share it. We have the opportunity to make a difference, both here and abroad...the question remains, will we have the courage to do it?








No comments:
Post a Comment