How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God!
1 John 3:1

A Father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing.
Psalm 68:5-6




Monday, June 22, 2009

In the beginning...


My dad was hired at the University of Tennessee by head football coach Bill Battle in 1975. Dad was the recruiting coordinator for football. I will never forget exactly where his first office was...and I thought it was the coolest office. Initially, it had a HUGE chalk board, fun, right? But as technology progressed, it became dry erase boards...such fun where you're little!! I loved going down the hall to the copier to make copies of my hand- your season ticket dollars at work! One night, because he was working long hours, we took picnic dinner to his office...fried chicken. I believe a picture of this family event ended up in the news paper!

Thankfully, dad was retained when Coach Majors replaced Bill Battle. I would have no idea how many players my dad recruited from all over the country. Even today, when professional football is on TV, dad may chime in with, "I recruited him. He played at so and so high school". I remeber as a little girl thinking how HUGE the football players were- like giants. Funny now, they seem like kids. One night a long time ago (before recruiting rules) Rolan James came to our house for dinner. I remeber he was soo tall, he had to duck through the foyer door! I remeber Reggie White telling us the story of Sampson and Deliah in the airport, while waiting for our plane to New York. Later on the same trip, he came up to our room to tell us good night. I remember being scared to death of Bobby Jackson- did he really hold someone by their ankles over the stairwell? In 7th grade, I was so sad for Tony Robinson when he broke his leg. I made him a get well card and my whole class signed it....of course then he was convicted for drugs! Oh well. I loved the "Chancey Killer". Remeber when he used to give us gum at lunch on Sundays- usually Juicy Fruit. And Tim Kerin- I love how he kept everything first class and on time- discipline, right! I know there were a lot of other people that crossed our paths; this is just a short list of some of the ones that come to mind. We have met a LOT of interesting people, haven't we?! (Have a good story to add? Leave it in the comments.)

No comments:

Post a Comment