How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God!
1 John 3:1

A Father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing.
Psalm 68:5-6




Sunday, June 7, 2009

Adoption Traffic

Waiting. Something most of us, including myself, aren't very good at. Who hasn't switched lines at the grocery store because another one seems faster? Ever switch lanes to get out from behind a slow car? There have absolutely been times during this wait that I have felt like I am in the very slowest lane. I've compared this adoption wait to being at a stand still in traffic, unable to see how far up in front the hold up is. You know, the kind of traffic jam where you turn your car off to get out to see what's going on and discuss with your neighbors what they may know. Adoption waiting is just like that.

After the hurry up of getting paper work gathered, filled out, notarized and authenticated so you can finally be added to the waiting list......you stop. Indefinitely. Sure, there may be moments that you need to update a form or something, but those are just moments. After your done, you return to the wait.

So how do I pass the time? Because, truth be told, I'd love to have my children now! Well, I figure I have time for 2 more 1/2 marathons before my life totally changes, so, I train. I keep up with the latest adoption information on our agency forum. I've met some great folks who are on the same journey. Sometimes we whine together, many times we celebrate as others move through the 'traffic'. It's just great to know I'm not alone. I blog and love reading everyone else's blogs...it seems to be one of the adoption things to do. I play with the dogs. I do some things to get ready for my little one. And, I wait.

Praise God that He is in control, His timing is perfect, and He gives me the patience I need for today. If all that wasn't the true, I'd have a serious case of road rage!

3 comments:

  1. Julie,

    Boy, can I relate ! It is like you took the words right out of my mouth. Just remember how many other people are going through similar times and lean on those people. If you need to whine, go ahead and whine. Keeping busy is great and planning your future life with your children. That will keep you going. Don't forget your friends. We are always here to listen to you vent and to hear you scream in excitement with good news. Can't wait to follow your journey ahead !

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. I started from the beginning and read all of your posts. Your background if fabulous. I am so glad that I know you. You are always so positive and like a breath of fresh air at the adoption picnics. It was SO sweet of you to have craft time making jewelry with all of the kids. Eva loved that! I call you the "baby whisperer." You are going to be an amazing mother, no doubt about that! I hope you got my email from this morning...seriously, I don't know much more than you with this blog business...but I could show you what I know anytime. I would love to know where you found the Addis Ababa clock. Love that! And about the wait....you are IN it and that is all that matters! Your day will come and it will be perfect. I have lived by this verse during this process:

    "If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day." -Habakkuk 2:3

    I hope it provides you comfort as well.

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. The traffic analogy cracked me up, especially the part where you park, get out, and talk to your neighbors to figure out what the hold up is. That is EXACTLY what blogging is.

    ReplyDelete