How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God!
1 John 3:1

A Father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing.
Psalm 68:5-6




Thursday, June 25, 2009

Game Day

I remember the first UT football game I attended. It was a spring Orange and White game....it was very cold....I fell asleep, in my snow suite, under the bleachers! Thus began many years of attending home football games. Dad always had to be there very early and was recently known to be there to unlock the gates for the concession vendors to get in and turn the lights out when the last folks left. Football Saturday was an all day event for Dad. Years ago, home football games was an opportunity to get dressed up. It was not unusual for mom and I to wear our church clothes to football games- pantyhose included. Thankfully, things have become markedly more casual over the years! Dad can still be seen on the side lines in a coat and tie.

In his early years, he was the 'Get Back Coach'.....his job was to keep everyone within the confines of the sidelines, avoiding a warning or penalty. Most recently, he was responsible for being sure game day ran smoothly: ushers, gate keepers, security, TV, band (his favorite- haha!) getting on and off the field on time, being sure the visiting team's needs were met. Can you imagine? Then on Monday mornings, he got to handle all the complaints from Saturday. Remember the obnoxious fan, Victoria....?

So what did game day look like for the Higdon's? Dad left early. After getting early tasks completed, there is apparently some down time, as I have heard about this most fantastic tailgate he attends. I'm still waiting for my invitation, but I'm not sure girls are allowed! Mom and I often tailgated, most recently across from the Claxton education building. What a fantastic opportunity for people watching. I was often insistent on being in my seat 30 minutes prior to game time- heading in gate 2 and finding my way to section C, row 13. Same seat, 20 years! I loved that seat because I was close enough to the field to be able to wave to Dad- I could never settle into watching the game until he and I had waved at each other. It was also close enough to be able to get an extra coat or some rain gear.....thanks, daddy! I am now thankful to be sitting in a 'more climate controlled' area.

After a game, I would meet mom at the dressing room where we would wait for Dad to come out and see us. Some times I would get to walk across the field with him. Yes, I felt special and important in these moments. I loved hearing his first post game comments and seeing what he thought of my observations. In the early years, we would wait for him to shower and the whole family would head to Peros- quick service, cheap food. Most recently, mom and I would head on home and we would have pizza when Dad joined us...and we watched the rest of college football.

Long days for sure....but I wouldn't trade them. I love that football was a family affair. It's just what the Higdon's did.

No comments:

Post a Comment