At the culmination of a successful football season, we looked forward to a great reward....a bowl trip. My first trip was in 1981 to the Garden State Bowl. 1982, the first of many trips to the Citrus Bowl. That trip we went to Disney world and the park was virtually empty...what a great way to experience the park. There were no lines....yes, you heard me, NO lines! We would get off a ride and then get right back on if we wanted to. Incredible!! On our most recent trip to the Citrus Bowl, we happened to be in the park on Christmas day- they ended up having to close the gates because the park was full. That was not my favorite trip to Disney. What about the crazy hotel at the Orange Bowl. Did you ever visit Orange Blossom Road?? Where was that? Who could forget the Cotton Bowl...it was a devastating week for the Higdon family. Mom and I were on a shopping trip, during which, I dropped a rock on her foot. There was only a small cut on the top on her foot, just at the base of her big toe. We didn't know until we got back that it had cut the tendon to her big toe.....she spent 6 weeks in a cast! That same trip, dad, trying to be the hero on the side lines, sustained a devastating injury to his left thumb. Thank goodness for disability!! HaHaHa!! I think he spent time in a cast, too. The best trip of all times- the Fiesta Bowl. Who could argue with a trip to Arizona in the winter....even better when you win the National Championship! And they served some fantastic frozen strawberry margaritas!
But the best game of all times......the 1985 Sugar Bowl...Tennessee vs. Miami....David vs. Goliath....Darryl Dickey vs Vinnie Testaverde. I have never been in a stadium so fired up and so loud. We contributed our fair share to the loud with a cheer we invented, "Bust 'em in the Testaverdes! Go Vols Go!" I sure Al and Tipper Gore, who happened to be sitting on the row in front of us, appreciated our creativity and energy.
Dad, thanks for the opportunity to go on all these fun trips! I know they were work trips for you, but I've got bunches of fun memories from them. I love hanging out with you! One day we'll go to Pasadena!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








So many trips - so many memories - so much fun.
ReplyDeleteI don't remember any of the scores, or even who we played for most of them, but I do know we always had a great time.......Mom