We've made it to the final installment of the retirement tribute to my Dad. The demands of Dad's job had a huge impact on my family- and not just on Saturdays. It affected the way we did a lot of things:
- For many many years, we had Sunday lunch at the training table. My fondest memories are of the meals we had in the old Gibbs Hall dining room. My favorite meal, the one I hoped they served every week, was fried shrimp. Lunch was always followed by a trip to the ice cream freezer. Mr. Porter always greeted us warmly, "Coach Higman!" He loved asking diet advice from "Ms. Higman". I never saw Mr. Porter without a smile on his face. Dad's favorite though, was the occasional (and often protested) trip to Susan's Diner....I think Susan's Diner closed many years ago, as the Higdon's still go out for lunch every Sunday.
- Dad frequently had to attend meetings around the country. I never knew what they were for. One summer meeting he had was in Florida and we were able to tack it onto our summer vacation. We stayed at the Breakers....or as I have called it my whole life, the Pink Palace. I know you had to work, Dad, but thanks for letting us tag along.
- If I had a nickel for every time someone asked me, "Are you related to Bill Higdon?" ....actually, I think this was hardest on my brother as this question could be for your gain or in his case, his accountability!
- As Dad travelled to home games, he had the opportunity to observe the traditions of other schools. This birthed the great entrepreneurial effort of Dad and his buddy Robbie Franklin. Flag and Fans was the first company to bring car flags to Knoxville. The originals had an orange background and a big white T. I know at least one Saturday, several of us were given a stack to put on cars during a ballgame!
- During football season, Dad often left home early and got home late. We didn't see him much. So he decided to remedy that by taking David and I to breakfast. Each Friday morning during the season, Dad would take one of us where ever we wanted to go for breakfast and then take us to school. I'm sure he ate more Shoney's breakfast bar than his cardiologist (or his wife) would approve of. We would wait in the car to hear Coach BillyJoTomBob Parker on WIVK....that show made us both laugh.
- I spent my college years on campus at UT. I loved having Dad so close by. I love popping by his office or skipping class and hanging out with him at baseball. But I also loved his cushman. This cart can go about anywhere- roads, sidewalks, paths. Thanks Dad, for all the times you picked me up at my dorm in the cushman to take me to class on the Hill! You are the BEST!!
- Adidas.....enough said?
Well, that concludes my tribute to my Dad. I have loved sitting in all these memories. Each morning, I have called Dad to ask what his favorite part was and we would talk about it- that's been fun, too. Daddy, thanks for all you've done for our family the past 34 years. I know you have worked very hard. I hope you love retirement.....anyone need a yard man?








this has been fun to read!! & you sound like a wonderful daughter as well....bet this was fun for your dad, too!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the card this week :) loved it! See you tomorrow? going to lunch??
~pam
You got ride up the Hill? I am jealous! :) It sounds like you have a pretty incredible dad. Tell him Happy Retirement from the Easts!
ReplyDeleteThis has been a WONDERFUL walk down memory lane. I'm so glad you have so many special memories of Dad and our "football life". I know we all enjoyed discussing them & many more over dinner last Friday. It has been a WONDERFUL life, and you are a WONDERFUL daughter. Thanks you for this and for being you...............Love, Mom
ReplyDelete